Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Last days at the Quilting Cottage






Dear Friends and Family,

Well, the last few days of my stay with the Mashaka women has come, and I have many mixed feelings about leaving. The hardest thing will be leaving these strong, courageous women whom I have come to love and respect so much. They are truly my "quilting sisters" and although they will be many miles away from me, and we will be leading very different lives, they will continue to be in my prayers, and never far from my thoughts and always in my heart.

Leaving the Nteere Guest House, where I have lived with Rose and Gerald, will also be difficult. They have have been my family here, and cared for me like one of their own. They have looked after my health and well being, my safety and security, and provided all I have needed or wanted while I was here. I am so grateful there was such a wonderful place to stay while I was here working. Their children, Denis and Hildah were also so helpful to this "non-computer-genius", and I'm so thankful they were around to sort things out for me.

I also want to thank Oasis Africa for having the vision to do this quilting project. Gladys, your dream has become a reality, and with God's blessing, will continue to grow. The women you chose were the right ones to begin the program, and they will continue to move ahead with Judy. They love what they're doing, and will find a way to continue given half a chance.

As I leave this beautiful area of Kenya, I am noticing that big changes are coming. All last week there were crews in the area cutting down the trees alongside the dirt roads leading out to the Mashaka Children's' Center and the Quilting Cottage. This week they have been stringing the wires for ELECTRICITY! What a huge change this will make in the lives of the local residents. And soon the school and the building where we quilt will have electricity too! No more heating irons over the cook's fire, and eventually, we might even have some electric sewing machines.......wouldn't that be wonderful! I can feel our dream growing!

As you can see from the pictures, the women have been very busy all week, trying to get quilts finished up so I can bring them home with me to sell. Please keep these precious women in your prayers. Their life is not easy, and you would not chose to trade places with any of them. But they are seeing the Quilting Cottage as part of God's Plan for their lives. Yesterday I spoke to them about Jeremiah 29:11...where God says He has a Plan for us, "for good and not for evil, to give us a future and a hope". I asked them to hold on to that promise....and with hope in their hearts, to work for that future. I believe they will do just that, and with God's help, be successful.

Thank you all for your support of me during this mission. I can not tell you how much your prayers and emails have meant. It was so amazing to know that so many were behind this effort, and working for it's success. To God be the Glory!

Love and a big hug to each of you!
Kitty

No comments:

Post a Comment