Monday, August 23, 2010

Chapter 10 The Ordered Life

Here is where the rubber really meets the road for me! I long to live an "ordered life." One filled with space to be, and space to grow. One of the quotes that has been important to me this summer from my time at Regent is, "In trying to spread myself around I am never truly present."

Smith talks about the "freedom" of order, and how this freedom comes not so much from "time management" as it does from "managing ourselves." He talks about Sabbath, and community and solitude. He writes, "Therefore, we must reslove before God that we willl not take on more work or responsiblity than we can fulfill with a calm and serene heart, free of hurry and rushed busyness" (pg 188).

I have to admit I am like a dog lapping up water for dear life when I read this sentence. Is it possible to live like that? Is he just pulling our leg? Is he a hypocrit? How does he live?

**Gordon Smith is going to be teaching a class called Spiritual Discerment the week of May 23-27, 2010 at Regent College. Maybe some of us can go together and take it.

My "call" for the year is to see if (as an extrovert who loves people, places, and things) this sentence can be lived out. I long to know. This chapter is going to be my devotional reading all year, and the paragraph on pg. 196 under Courage and Calling, will drive me to my knees as I seek God's way. I'll let you know how it goes.

What about you? What are you taking away from this summer's study? Share with our Blog friends and we will be talking about this in our time together.

Thanks for a great summer and the joy of searching out life together.

Becce

No comments:

Post a Comment