Tuesday, July 13, 2010

3- Chapters of Our Lives

This week we are looking at the idea of how our life changes...but in many ways stays the same throughout our life. Smith observes that adult life can be divided into three distinct phases: adolescence into early adulthood (which happens in the mid twenties), early to mid-adulthood, and then mid-adulthood through our senior years. Smith writes that this last phase begins around sixty years of age.

During this chapter he talks about individuation from parents in the first phase, moving intentionally into our vocation in the second phase, and finally in the third, growing into a place where we can provide wisdom and bless others.

Here are some ideas I would like us to converse about:

"...the same vocational questions actually follow us through the whole course of our lives: Who am I, and who has God called me to be?" Question: How important do you think these questions really are to us on an everyday basis?

and

"The primary question we need to answer at all times (in all the phases) is this: 'What is God calling me to do here, in this place and this time, so that I can be a conduit of life and grace to others'"? Question: If you were to ask yourself this question in specific about your life right now, what would your answer be?

finally,

If you are in the third phase, what deep desire or longing can be expressed in your life now, that may not have been possible earlier?

Happy Reading...and we would love to hear what's rumbling around in you as you read.
Becce

4 comments:

  1. Great questions, Becce, will be mulling over them and thanks for challenging us to dig deep!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Who am I, and who has God called me to be? Very important questions because the answers determine my outlook on life and how I respond to my daily tasks, demands and decisions.

    What is God calling me to do here, at this time, at this place? I believe it is to know Him as much as I can. I have this immediate desire to read and study about Him as much as I can. I truly want a personal relationship with Him --- not only He but also my family. I just finished a book about the Triune God and their intimate relationship and how we reflect the image of God to others thru our relationships. Love - my God, myself and others. We will be known by our love.

    I am in the third phase of my life. I am finding out who I am not. Within the last few years I have begun to "let go". There are things I cannot change and thru circumstances and God's grace am learning "that's the way it is". Do what I can and leave the rest to God. That's a huge step for me. I like to be in control. Dreams have faded, opportunities have been lost but God is faithful and I am still growing and learning.

    The final sentence of this chapter really hit home. In some form or other I have always been serving others; however, not always willingly and always expecting something in return. I sense God calling me to serve unconditionally. I still have desires and longings. Perhaps God will allow them in my most advanced mature years.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Who am I and what has God called me to be?

    A number of years ago I wrestled through this by a thorough examination of my life. I looked for common threads. I gained a clear understanding of the spiritual gifts I have been given: leadership, perception and encouragement. I have the ability to see the potential in a person and walk alongside them to encourage them to live to that potential. I did it for years in business and began to see that I was doing it with friends all around me. I came to the clear understanding that this is what God created me to do with the people I come in contact with.

    What is God calling me to do here, in this place and this time, so that I can be a conduit of life and grace to others?

    This is easy to answer in light of the fact that I understand my purpose/vocation. It doesn't matter where I am or who I am in relationship with at that time, my purpose remains the same and therefore the task at hand also remains the same. I encourage those around me to live the abundant life God intended for them by discovering who God created them to be (beloved daughter/son) and the life He designed specifically for them. People light up like Christmas trees when they discover this. Life becomes meaningful and joyful. I feel privileged to be part of the process every time it happens.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Who am I and what has God called me to be? Who I am I have no trouble with. I am a teacher, a writer and a reader. I feel strongly about justice and unconditional positive regard. I used to think I was called to work with children. I am not so certain anymore.

    ReplyDelete