Thursday, July 15, 2010

Faith Development

Here is a quote that jumped off the page at me: "...vocational identity is a critical dimension of our faith development" (p.57-58).

So... what Smith is saying is that our faith journey gets stuck if we do not begin to get a grasp on our "vocation." This is a very radical statement! It reminds me of something an artist told me once. She said that most people never learn to draw any better than they drew at age 12, because after that age, it takes concerted effort, humility, and desire to want to learn to draw.

Do you think many of us go along in our spiritual lives hoping we will grow but do not put in much effort to make that happen? Or if we do put in effort, it may be down "spiritual rabbit trails" (my word not Smith's) like evolution vs. creationism; or when Christ will return (not that this are not important...but these types of discussions do not seem to help us grow up spiritually). Do you think that getting a grasp on one's vocation is really a major key to living a spiritually abundant life? Whew...what do you think?

Becce

2 comments:

  1. I have found that knowing why God made me (my purpose/vocation) has been crucial in knowing who God is and trusting Him. I don't believe we can possibly live the abundant life without getting a grasp on this. God's promises (i.e. I know the plans I have for you Jer 29:11) are applicable in our lives when we understand that God is personal...me and Him. If the creator is personal, then He must have created me with some purpose in mind (the alternative is he just creates a bunch of blobs for the fun of it). Our purpose/vocation becomes the filter through which our lives are lived. It is a radically different life. An abundant, joy-filled life!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Knowing my God given purpose focused me and I worked diligently to perfect my skills. I don't believe I have ever experienced more effective motivation then knowing I was engaged in a task God created for me. And no matter how hard I worked, I was renewed and strengthened because my service brought me joy, and whether I was studying to strengthen my skills or using those skills to perform my vocation, it was an act of worship.

    What I don't understand is how I lost my focus -- or how to regain it.

    ReplyDelete