Friday, August 21, 2009

Making Baby Steps

Today we're going to concentrate on our 1/4" seam allowance, and fabrics "right sides together" and edges even. Since we will not begin the training on the sewing machines until Monday when Jeffrey can come again, I have another hand project for the ladies. When I was still at home, I ordered some beautiful fabric prints by Keith Mallett, which can not be used for commercial projects without getting a license. So each woman will choose one of these prints for her new project. Since their work is not yet up to standards to sell, doing another small project for themselves, while increasing their skills, seems the way to go. This project will also give me the opportunity to teach them hand basting which they will need to know for future projects.

I am having a little challenge communicating with Jeffrey about the thread to use on the sewing machines. He says the cotton thread is too weak, and has suggested polyester thread since it is stronger. The poly thread he is suggesting isn't even cotton covered, and I am afraid it will melt when it meets our very hot irons which are heated over the cook's open fire outside. I showed him where someone set the hot iron down on the polyester ironing board cover, and the hole it melted through the cloth and also the poly batting underneath. However, he insists we must use the polyester thread. Since he's a tailor he is sure he knows best. Well, we'll see. I hope he's right, and the thread we use in our quilt doesn't melt so the quilts fall apart.

Take good care, Dear friends. I am missing Jill this morning.

Love and a big hug to each of you,
Kitty

No comments:

Post a Comment