Friday, August 14, 2009

Telling the Story


You all know that Mom has been busy using her outstanding teaching skills to inspire the women here to quilt. It’s a privilege to be able to watch first-hand as she connects with the women and helps them visualize their potential. The glow of hope in their eyes grows with every stitch they make, every strip of fabric they cut.

Mom is very fortunate to have a fabulous assistant in Judy, the woman hired by Oasis Africa to supervise the women and take over after Mom leaves. Judy is a beautiful spirit and an invaluable asset.

Judy has been a blessing to me as well. Her capability has freed me up to switch my role from Mom’s right-hand man (OK, woman) to videographer. On our first day in Nairobi, Drs. Gladys and Gershon Mwiti of Oasis Africa painted such a vision of what is developing here that I was inspired to capture it on film.

Gladys spoke of the bitterness of the women and the need for them to grow beyond that, for healing and for rebuilding a sense of community. She spoke of the hope for income and a brighter future for their children that the quilting will provide these women. She touched me with her words about the Spirit of God and how He has brought us together from across the world to build something beautiful together in the lives of these women.

Gershon spoke of the “technology” that is being brought into the lives of the impoverished people in Mashaka and how exciting it is that Oasis Africa is the channel through which that technology is being shared. It is a beautiful thing when people of different countries can reach across to each other and share their skills. Such relationships enhance the lives of everyone involved and are also, I feel, instrumental in bringing peace into the world as we see that we are all just regular people no matter where we come from or what we look like, loving each other in the name of Jesus.

With all those thoughts in mind, the idea came to me that this wonderful story of what is being built could be effectively shared as a documentary-style video. The story of the Mashaka Quilting Project would not only share with current and future donors what we are doing, but would also be an inspiration to others who want to do something to share and help in this world, but who don’t always know where to start. It can feel overwhelming at times, but this project is proof that when God wants something done, if we are open and receptive to His guiding hand miraculous things can happen.

Therefore, I have been using my time here to film everything I can about our quilting project. The ladies have gotten used to me wandering about the room with my camera, peering over their shoulders, even standing on tables to get shots when necessary. I am already scheduled to give a presentation at Friday Harbor Presbyterian Church on September 25, and I plan to premiere the video at that time. I am counting on finding people back home who will be able to help me edit.

I am looking forward to more fully sharing this experience with all of you on film.

Jill

No comments:

Post a Comment