Monday, August 24, 2009

Thank God It's Monday!

I was so happy to be getting back to the Quilting Cottage this morning! It made me feel more "normal", which is what quilting does for me. The women were all smiles when Gerald's trusty blue truck arrived with me,. They had already begun cleaning out the cottage from the mess left by the carpenters. I had hoped that the strips of wood put up for hanging quilts would be flat against the wall, but only the one at the front of the room was put up that way. It is hard when I can't be there when they are working to be sure it is being done correctly. I must not be communicating clearly. Perhaps it can be changed.

We worked very hard on our projects today, and I was pleased with how carefully the women are stitching. Each smart decision, or good choice or neatly stitched piece was pointed out to the group as an example of how it should be done. I pointed out to them that when customers looks at hand work to buy it, they are looking at the colors, design and neatness of work. The more carefully you do your work, your cutting, stitching and pressing, the better price you will get, and the more pieces you will sell.

Jeffrey came later in the morning and replaced our ironing board cover. He had a piece of linen (I think it is) and we taped the ends, and tracked it to the underside of the board. I was pleased it held up quite nicely with our hot irons. Then he began working with the women on the sewing machines. So far we're not using any thread, but he did have his polyester thread with him. The women are very excited about working the machines. They are getting the rhythm down, but they will also need to practice putting fabric through, and following the 1/4" seam allowance.

In this area, they are beginning to do a census tonight. There has been a lot of debate about the census, because they are spending lots of money to have this done, and people are starving. They think the money would have been better spent on buying food. Denis, the son here, is one of the census workers. There have been threats of violence so the workers have had to hire security to be safe......spending even more money. Some people have said they will refuse to answer the questions. I will even be questioned since I am living at this home now. So tomorrow has been declared a national holiday, so people would be at home to meet with the census takers. I guess if the people knew that the result of the census would help them in any way, they might be more cooperative. But the government seems to be too busy fighting to do anything to help the poor people in this area. The government's main concern seems to be to retain their power, rather than use their power to do anything helpful. Sounds a lot like home, doesn't it?

Today, on the way to the Quilting Cottage, I noticed that a fresh pile of dirt had been put on the circle of ashes. Sticks and branches were put on top, with a small, red piece of fabric attached to a branch. This afternoon on the way home, another branch of pink/purple flowers had been placed on top. I was glad to see that flowers had been put there. We will pass this place twice daily for the rest of the time I am working here. Each time I will say a prayer for the poor soul who perished and the people who are mourning his loss.

Thank all of your dear people for your prayers. Please say a prayer for the village of Murinya, where I am staying. They have suffered a trauma, and need God's healing.


Love and a big hug,
Kitty

No comments:

Post a Comment