Sunday, August 23, 2009

Sunday

I have just returned from a 4+ hour church service..........and have a splitting headache! Four local churches had come together to worship, so the building was packed. They had loud speakers up even on the outside, and the music was blaring when we arrived. Rose led us down to the very front of the church so we were very close to all the action.......and the noise! The singing and dancing were a joy to watch although very loud, being so close. Then we had a good half hour of prayers, with the preacher screaming over a microphone, and everyone in the congregation yelling at the top of their voice....all at the same time. It is like they have to yell to get God to hear them in heaven. After that, a woman got up to preach on the text. She yelled in English while a man screamed the translation in the mother tongue...whatever that is. Next came the offering, more singing, more praying and then two more preachers took the stage. One preached for over an hour in English, every phrase being yelled by the other in the local language. The wooden bench I was sitting on became harder as the service progressed. If it weren't for the little children who came to gaze into my white face, and touch my white hands, it would have been unbearable. After the sermon there was an alter call, with more praying (screaming) and then it was over.. Even Rose and Gerald, my hosts, complained about the length of the service. We had gotten there at 10:30....a half hour late, and didn't leave til after 2:30. They are holding a revival service this afternoon up near where the "punishment" took place this week. I think I'll pass! Someone had placed a log in the center of a circle of ashes. I didn't ask any questions.

I'm thinking of all you dear people this afternoon. Knowing you're "out there" gives me a lot of strength. Thank you so much for your kind emails. They really keep me going.

Love and a big hug,
Kitty

No comments:

Post a Comment